Thing 11

5:42 AM Edit This 1 Comment »
Can you see the potential of this tool for research assistance? Or just as an easy way to create bookmarks that can be accessed from anywhere?
Both uses. I hadn't thought about as a research tool, but now that it is mentioned, I can see how del.ici.ous can be of use in that department. As for being able to bookmark my sites in one location, now I can be at work and not have to email myself a link to bookmark on my browser window. Ha!!! I don't have to do that anymore by using del.ici.ous.

San Mateo Library's Del.ici.ous, is really neat with what they did. They cataloged their sites by Dewey. Very neat. It looks as though they have basically took and created a library of websites. Out of the examples given to peak out, Menasha Library is done very similar, there is no Dewey, just sites cataloged by subject matter, I also like this, probably the most because I think in general patrons now are thinking when they come to a library, they want to know where dogs or computer books are. I think they are familiar with the Barnes n Noble theme of subject headings, and many expect to see that when they come to a library. Which I have no problem with either.





1 comments:

Linda said...

You make a really good point about arranging things similar to bookstores where patrons can find things by their area of interest. Dewey makes it easy to find things this way, but you have to know what the numbers mean and the general public doesn't use the numbers that much that they are familiar with them.